Thursday, September 08, 2005

My apartment will be condemned.
At least that's the vague quip I got from my landlady this morning. She dropped the whole issue of paying rent on a building that may be a health hazard. Thank goodness.
I pressed her and asked exactly how long I have to get out, and she refused to tell me. She said she is offering up space in these small apartments about 10 miles from work. Considering I lived a 1/2 mile from work and gas is scarce and expensive, I'm not thrilled with it. And, there isn't exactly an abundance of apartment space available now considering about 1/3 of it in the area was destroyed.
She said I should just come on down to the office today around two. I reminded her that I am a reporter working 10-12 hour days and she just said, "Oh, right. Well you take care hon." Click.
Bad time to have a shifty landlady who doesn't choose to make herself available.
I may end up squatting on my place. The only real issues with that are when electricity and running water will come back. It'll take a long time, for sure. All the electical outlets downstairs are coroded and The only thing I really want back is safe running water. I can live without A/C and TV but not without a sink to brush my teeth in.
Work is getting a little less hectic. The out-of-town reporters are starting to trickle out. I'm no longer climbing over rubble and talking to grieving families.
Knight-Ridder continues to do an amazing job of keeping us fed, watered and our cars gassed.
Ironically I am working on a long term story about exhaustion now. I'm kind of an expert, you might say. Everyone in local gov't is getting burnt out and crabby. That's saying nothing about fire fighters and cops.
Alright, that's the update, diary style. Gotta go find some tired people.
Keller is out finding what's left of the shrimping industry. Plenty of bottom feeding fun to come.

12 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Even though the big media outlets are going away, there are plenty of people "out here" still following what is going on and please please let us know if there is anything we can do. Good luck with the apartment; doesn't sounds like much fun.
Cathy

7:49 AM  
Blogger Erica Ortiz said...

You all amaze me with your strength. All of our prayers are with you!

-A fellow Knight-Ridder employee from the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Hell, won't Keller let you move in with him until you can find a place????

9:47 AM  
Blogger WaterCruiser said...

A retired Sergeant from the Kansas City Missouri Police Department moved to Pass Christian in 2000 or 2001. His name is Gary Zavadil, we haven't heard from him and were wondering if his house was far enough inland to be spared at least the deadly flooding.

http://maps.google.com/maps?li=rwp&q=1055+DEMOURELLE+RD,+PASS+CHRISTIAN,+MS+39571

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting this out there. I am new to this site and am not sure how to go about having people come to mine but if you feel like it or have time please come to visit.
I wish you lots of positive and healing energy to you and your loved ones.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could HUG the two of you right now!!! California is just too far away. Keep up the great work on the blog. I keep sending people here to read and look at your pictures. I hope its helping?

I am dismayed by your landlady's attitude, but it may well be she's in shock too. I would stay put untill you know you have water back at your apartment. Power can be lived without if nessiary.

And my community here on the Monterey Peninsula is also a fishing/tourist based economy.

Maybe you won't have the shrimp/oyster fishermen back in business right away, but I pray that in a few weeks they will be getting your waterways reopened.

IF you have a direct link or phone number for donations for YOUR parish or local churches, please post them OK? I would like to help.

Thanks - Good luck and MANY Prayers... and MORE Help will come Your way SOON!!!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may want to check with the Ocean Springs police department. Most of them are staying at the civic center because they still don't have power. So they are working 18 hour shifts and sleeping maybe 6 hours a night.
My brother just happens to be one of them.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Girl Interrupted said...

God Bless!

8:41 PM  
Blogger cathy walker said...

Very sorry to hear about this-your major calamity, may god be with you through it all .I know what chaos and disaster is all about....but when you lose your home, I'm sure that's a whole other story. KEEP STRONG + GOD BLESS

3:56 AM  
Blogger Josh Norman said...

Dear Watercruiser, That seems to be one of the few neighborhoods in PAss Christian that wasn't leveled. It may have been flooded though. Again, if you're looking for him, contact the Red Cross. Also, cell service is starting to come back. Good luck.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Josh,

My name is Maria Alvarez and I'm writing from NYC -- a mutual NYU collleague hooked me up with your father. I'm a journalism Dart fellow -- specializing on helping reporters in the trenches of diaster. I have a 9/11 survivor and reporter. If you would like to let off some steam write back and we can get a bigger audience to educate the rest of us on knowing what is really going on. Maria bpcteresa@aol.com

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the news I've seen, this is by far the most touching, emotional yet! Kudos & thanks you!!!

If you want to move to Cali, we'd be honoured to have you & yours!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home