Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I found beer.
A big thank you goes out to the company who owns T.G.I. Friday's up on Hwy 49 north of I-10. Their beer was cold and their fries were warm. 'Twas one of my best birthdays ever.
On a bit of a personal note/gripe, I found out that my building, still sans electricity and clean running water, may be condemned and/or bulldozed and that my landlady still wants to collect my rent. At least Mike has semi-plush carpets and electricity. The prick.

On to business.
For those of you still seeking loved ones:
I encourage you to utilize our gracious employers website listed in our links to the right. You may also check www.gulfcoastnews.com for advice on searching.
In addition, we recieved this post not long ago:
The Bulletin Blog (www.bulletinblog.org) is the Web's Bulletin Board for reuniting victims of disasters with families and friends.
If you have been a victim of a disaster, you can Post any information you wish so that your family and friends will be able to find you on our website and know the status of your situation. You may also search your name on our website to see if your family or friends have already made a Posting seeking your status.
If you are a family member or friend searching for the status of a loved one, you can Post a picture and message asking them to contact you.
You can include a link in your Posting to help direct people to your own website or another website where important information may reside.
You can also include photos and images in your Postings.

Finally, call the Red Cross. They are finally starting to make a unified list of all the people who hve checked into shelters.

For those of you looking to help:
For now, donating money, clothing, food and medicine to either the Red Cross or the Salvation Army is the surest way to directly help here.
In time, when things begin to calm down slightly, we will have more information on what charity avenues open up, but driving around, the Red Cross and the Salvation Army are the two groups I have seen working the hardest to help those hurt bad.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aren't going to pay your September rent, right Josh?? Don't do it!! What a prick of a landlord.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would presume that your lease has some kind of clause about you being released from your obligations should the place be uninhabitable. I would wager that being condemned qualifies under that description.

Tell your landlady to talk to her insurance company instead of her soon-to-be-homeless tenants.

I am glad that you can always couch-surf at Mike's though.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

totally agree with michael moore's letter but also totally agree that the attention should be focussed on aid right now, too; i went through a cat 2 hurricane and the media (other than local) left it like yesterday's news within days; in the meantime, 2 years later we are still dealing with the aftermath. i watched a fleet of canadian ships leave the harbour today; the links on my blog for today provide details; canadian aid is on the way (for what it's worth).
Cathy in Canada

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Josh! I have been following this blog from the beginning and commend you and Mike for all the excellent work you've done to help those near and far to get the real picture of what's going on over there. My prayers and good thoughts are with you.

7:44 PM  
Blogger sostinkinhappy said...

Excellent blog. Have been following it since the onset of your posts about Katrina. Our prayers are with you.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Steve Popkin said...

Hey Mike,

Found the blog thanks to Zola :)
Our prayers are with you guys. If there is anything you need what-so-ever just let us know. Made our donation to the Red Cross today. I think you have my e-mail if not you know how to find me... Thanks for all the info on what's happening up there.

Steve, Debbie, Jared, Zack & Noah
Your cousins in South Florida

8:19 PM  
Blogger Flo Wolfe Sharp, Ed. D. said...

HBD2U.

Also, please remember the Humane Society when donating. Lots of animals have suffered as well.

8:33 PM  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Good call on the beer lol :)

I hear forced evac is starting now...

I think that is going to be a problem when the criminals - gangs are confronted.

R2000

8:57 PM  
Blogger stuart said...

What's the landlady gonna do if you don't pay your rent - throw you out?

perhaps she would be good enough to see to the leak that has developed?

10:41 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I don't think the landlord can LEGALLY collect the rent. What's he going to do anyway? Evict you? And get someone else to rent from him? Sure.

I wish there were a way to email you privately Josh and Mike.

Donna

11:06 PM  
Blogger ExBF said...

Thank god for the beer....somebody's out there watchin' over ya'

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8693

12:36 AM  
Blogger Finnie Family said...

If anyone ever deserved a cold beer and warm chips it's you! Sorry about your landlady though!

12:47 AM  
Blogger charlita said...

No way! i can't imagine that it will hold up. i mean, who in their even distressed mind would think that you need to pay rent? of course you know this.

landperson's insurance should cover losses. of course they could be just seein' if you or anyone else pays. they probably need the money. no income is stressful.

bee well.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

We used to live there when my DH was in the A.F.. Words cannot express our wishes for you all. We are praying for you all.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I am trying to get the word out to university students who were affected by the hurricane. Please pass this on to anyone who might be interested; five universities in Nova Scotia, Canada are willing to take in students at a reduced tuition fee. One is even offering to take 5 students free of charge (will provide full tuition and room and board). The others are willing to do whatever they can to get students into classes and houses. contact hurricane.relief@acadiau.ca
or go to www.smu.ca to see two examples. Also, you can contact me via my web blog for further information.
Cathy

4:41 AM  
Blogger HadesGigas said...

what a stupid landladylord, If I saw her I'd give her the stank eye and a flush elbow to the throat

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Stuart said it best ... what's she going to do? Evict you?

Thanks for keeping everybody up to date on the situation there. It's good to have first hand news and not rely solely on the TV media (not that they're biased or anything...)

5:44 AM  
Blogger theShadow said...

Tell your landlady you will put your rent in escrow awaiting repairs to your domicile. By the time she can getr an eviction process to the point you'll be thrown out, the building will probably be a parking lot anyway.

Happy birthday, though!

6:31 AM  
Blogger kumo said...

I've got to say I'm impressed with your blog. What can I say? Being as I'm from a far away country, this says alot. Thank you on behalf of all the people in need of help out there for your efforts - god bless and take care.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday. May next year be much better & R O C K !!! :)

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About your landlord-I went through Ivan and had a similar apartment problem. You might want to see if MS has a Landlord-Tenant Act to protect you. Good luck!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had your beer. I'm going to have a pint of London Pride for you in a couple of hours. I'll raise you all a toast.

good luck

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home