Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I don't know when my greeting upon meeting new people changed. I used to say, "How are you?" or "How's it going?"
At some point in the last couple days, my brain realized that was a stupid question. Even if someone says "fine" it is just their automatic response answering.
I heard myself make the switch to "how are you folks holding up?"

Just heard how a reporter here fared. He had to swim off his roof in the middle of the storm. He said that the top of his roof was almost exactly 60 feet above the river that his house used to be on.
The last he saw of his home was a whirlpool that formed as water rushed down his chimney. When the waters receded, everything was gone.

9 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

This shows how well people, americans as much as any, adapt to hard times. Its in our blood, in our history, and we get through it.

R2000

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog in Missouri and am thinking about you and praying for you daily.

I can't imagine what you're going through.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are doin a good job. my friend in the NG said he is living in downtown NO.. they were going to be clearing out a thousand buildings during the night. I do not envy him.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates, they are much appreciated. Did you by chance make it to (take pictures in) Ocean Springs, MS? We are concerned because we have had no word.

9:36 AM  
Blogger theShadow said...

Keep up the struggle.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you. just.. thank you.. for all that you've been writing, and photographing, and sharing with us all.

Through work, I would regularly talk to folks who are at a (business) in the Biloxi area.

I'm just absolutely heartsick to think about so much it just being washed away.

I haven't talked to them since Katrina and I hope that they're holding up as best as they can and they have loved ones who can hug them and comfort them through this.

and I hope that there is something or someone there to bring you comfort, even if it's that wonderful old bottle of scotch (or finding signs of hope amid the chaos).

Happy Birthday.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous: Here is a link to a message board with lots of information on specific areas of Ocean Springs.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Michael Walton said...

how are you folks holding up?

12:05 PM  
Blogger MandM said...

Great work

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home