Friday, September 09, 2005

A bittersweet moment of levity: I went to a DMORT (see my article in today's SunHerald) center for families trying to locate missing loved ones. These four guys walk in looking for a family member and at one point the subject of dentures comes up.
The following monologue, which had everyone rolling on the floor clutching themselves with laughter, from one of the four men took place:
"Man, you fink FEMA gonna hep me ged thome new teef? I thaw my dendures floading away in da thtawm. I thweah man, I can' harly ea' nuffin. Dey wath givin ou' ham thamicheth da ova day. Me an' dith ova guy wath ea-in' nem. Took him ten minute ea' hith thamich. Took me foday-fahv minute ea' mine! I thweah' man. You fink da federa' gubnent goin hep me git thome teef back? Man, I can' ea' no cawn, no threemp. Ith terribew man, terribew."

12 Comments:

Blogger Blondie said...

The sad part about it is that this poor guy will probably never get new dentures. I live in Houston and receive both Social Security Disability and additional medical assistance through Harris County, and I can't even get a dental appointment.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You insensitive racist clod. I say no more tax cuts! Dentures for all! If your dentures are swept away in a hurricane, you are entitled to a free set from the government.

/sarcasm

1:12 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I ditto MJ. I feel terrible for laughing but bless his heart, that man was funny. I hope people don't forget to help him get new dentures and others like him who have dental needs.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Is Leno cracking Katrina jokes yet?

2:43 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

You may find this hard to believe, but:

1. I have dentures.

2. I was eating a ham sandwich as I came upon this post. So (just to see how it would go, y'know), I took out my dentures and tried to continue eating the sandwich.

ROTFL!

Man, that is the wierdest sensation -- bare gums on ham...

Get the poor man some teeth!

4:26 PM  
Blogger g_chaymae said...

I organize a concour come to take part in it www.chouchou21.tk

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughter is the best relief of stress. I wish all of the south a good, deep belly laugh.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Flo Wolfe Sharp, Ed. D. said...

How did you ever write that? Did you take linguistics in college?

On the floor myself. Having lived in Gu'fpor', I can hear this conversation in my head.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

That's really tragic Are you ever going to see this toofless man again? Would you start a collection for his dentures? I'd throw in £20 if you did. It'd be a great story.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the same is true nationwide like Blondiezx said. I know my daughter who is on medical aid here in California is having the same problem. Her teeth are awful. I tried to get her on my husbands insurance, but because shes over 21 we can't.

Maybe this is all a sign of the times?

However the story did make me laugh. :)

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally going to hell for giggling at this.

Totally.

11:23 AM  
Blogger chase said...

We do have to find humor when we can, but i hope we will be able to get help, its the little things in life that will mean so much in the end. good luck

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home