Saturday, November 05, 2005


Yes, that's yours truly with a 6-foot, 10-pound, red-tailed boa constrictor named Beta found in the rubble of Long Beach last week. Someone discovered it out in their yard curled up in a couch. The thing survived about two months on its own. Well, that and a category 4 hurricane, assuming it was someone's pet. Being that it is indigenous to the jungles of South America, I am assuming that it was in a house that was destroyed and survived. I've contemplated bringing it home, as it needs a home at the moment, but I live with a 5-pound chihuahua now and Beta would make quick work of her.
This photo by Joshua Norman

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, Dulce would "not like that big snake-make it go away!"

5:04 PM  
Blogger One of The Wildwomen said...

Don't do it Josh, the dog would only make an appetizer and Beta would then want the main course...I don't want to see you leave this blog that way!!! You've come way to far for that!!!!lol

5:55 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Eeew! Scary thought, what other "pets" are out there on the loose?

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chicken,
thanks for looking out for the d! when i got the "can i keep it?" memo, all i could think of was her saying in that deezers voice - "oh no mommy, don't let that rellay scaaaary reptile squeeze all my little guts out and then lick them up! oh no!"

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are ways of keeping snake away from potential meal,,,,, people .
Josh Maybe someone you know that has no pets could take BETA it would be such a shame to leave it to die.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

I really like snakes but like you, couldn't keep one of that size. I have 5 cats, 2 dachshunds and 2 rabbits. The snake might be happy, but then I would be an accessory to animal cruelty!
Hopefully you can find a home for it. They are cool animals.
Peace.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anything new on the BETA front?

3:44 PM  
Blogger Judypatooote said...

OMG! I can't believe you are holding that darn snake....

5:06 PM  
Blogger Josh Norman said...

nothing new on Beta front. However, I have gotten a dozen calls after I ran a story about it from people looking to house and/or feed it. I called the snake-sitter and he hasn't gotten back to me. who knew people liked snakes that much?

6:39 PM  
Blogger m said...

beautifull boa....too bad im in dc or id rescue him/her.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home